Another ludum dare is here and this time I decided not to post about participating until I actually completed it. Since I completed it, I shall write the post mortem for it.
Upon knowing the theme, I kind of immediately had the concept of objects passing from one world to another. Initially I wanted to do a match 3 style game. It was the first thing that came to mind. I didn’t immediately start coding; instead I take my time to have my lunch and think about the idea.
I settled on a tile game where you connect the line to move the objects to the next area. This appears in the last world in the final game. By the end of the first day, I finished setting up the basic architecture of the game, with basic collision and pushing of blocks. The matching is also completed. It seems like I was really closed to finishing so I decided to take the time to set up my XCode to export the game.
On the second day however, I had a sudden change of idea. I thought, what if each world have something different from the others.
I took the entire day (and night) to finish the ambition goal to change requirement at the last minute. I did managed to finish the game at around 3am (submission at 9am).
So what went right :
- Using a framework I am really familiar with.
- Using a graphic style that really do not need me to draw.
- Trying to set up XCode early.
- Setting up the architecture of the game properly.
I was toying around the idea of creating a SFML library that (almost) mimics what ncurses has about 2 weeks before Ludumdare. I am really glad that I managed to finish that code just before Ludum Dare and using it really saved me a lot of time. You can find it in my github inside zframework. Because of that code, I also ended up using a character-style graphics instead of nice sprites. That really saved me a lot of time, which is then used to create the gameplay.
On the first day, I actually spend a lot of time setting up the game architecture, which I thought was a bad idea initially. The effort did pay off when the requirements of the game changes and the architecture was ready to adapt to the new idea.
So what went wrong :
- Not testing compilation of code on Windows prior to LD.
That is pretty much what went wrong. I spend a few hours trying to compile it on Windows, with errors that I had never see before. I did manage to get it working eventually today, 1 day after the submission. Other than that, this ludum dare couldn’t have gone better.
This time round I really enjoy the process and manage to make the game that I had in mind on the second day. I hope that the next will be the same =).
Let me know how you feel about the game by tweeting me.